How to Use the English/Spanish Dictionary
- To query on a word, type the word into the appropriate
box at the top of the page and then click Submit.
- If your keyboard does not support special characters (i.e.
á, ñ, ü, etc.), do the following to type them:
- precede vowels with a single quote to produce á, é, í,
ó and ú.
- precede vowels with a double quote to produce ä, ë, ï,
ö and ü.
- precede n with a tilde to produce ñ.
- The actual conversion will be done after you click Submit.
- Example: type o'ir to produce oír; type a~nadir
to produce añadir.
- If your keyboard supports special characters, then don't bother with
- Words must be spelled correctly. oír is in the
database. oir (without the accent) is not.
- Inflected forms of words can be entered. For instance, instead of
typing ser, you may type somos, sean, sed,
- Some pages will contain buttons that provide an easier way to navigate
to additional information.
- In the case of verbs, click the Conjugate button to display the
- On the conjugation pages, move the mouse cursor over the various
conjugated forms to display the translation. If the conjugated forms
are close enough to the bottom of the page, the translation will
"display" off the page. This means you will not see
it. Scroll down and try again.
- At the bottom of the verb conjugation page, there is a Printer
Friendly Format button. Click this button to produce a conjugation
page formatted to fit better on a printed page.
- Note that the database currently contains mostly verbs.
- Please report any errors so they can be corrected.